Beagles are energetic dogs who love to go outdoors and play. They make great family pets because of their nature of theirs.
You love taking your beagles outdoors for fun as a pet owner, especially in the summer. However, the summer heat may not agree with your beagle and might cause potential harm to it.
So, how do you gear up for fun in the sun with your pet beagle? Read on to find out if beagles can live in hot weather and what you can do to minimize the harmful effects of the heat? You also may want to know why dogs like sticks.
Can Beagles Live In Hot Weather?
In short, a beagle or dog can tolerate only a certain amount of heat. Anything beyond that could lead to potential harm to your dog.
Beagles love to play outdoors, especially when it’s nice and sunny, as there are so many activities they can enjoy during this time.
So, even though beagles can stay under the hot sun, you need to limit the exposure to minimize the risks.
What Level Of Heat Can Beagles Tolerate?
Can beagles live in hot weather? Beagles can tolerate a heat level of up to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temperature rises to 103 degrees Fahrenheit, your beagle may experience excess-heat-related symptoms such as heat stroke.
There are many ways in which you can help your beagle play outdoors in the hot sun and enjoy it without falling sick due to the heat.
Hazards To Protect Your Beagle From In The Heat
Too much heat always leads to trouble, not only for beagles but for most animals and humans. Here are the hazards you need to protect your beagle from heat.
Heatstroke occurs when your beagle’s body temperature rises beyond its tolerable level, and it can’t cool down. Heatstroke in your beagle requires medical attention and could even be fatal.
Unlike humans, beagles pant instead of sweating. In high humidity situations, they pant as much as the amount of moisture they expel. It leads to heat exhaustion because their cooling system is not adequate.
Your beagle’s skin is susceptible to sun damage just as much as yours. Any bald patches or areas with white hair on your beagle’s skin could get sunburnt quickly. Using sunscreen with zinc-oxide on your beagle’s skin will minimize the risk of getting sunburnt.
Beagles love to play, and it’s a good thing as they get the required amount of exercise. However, playing in too much heat could cause overexertion in your beagle.
- Burns on the pads of the feet
Your beagle’s pads on its feet can get burnt, especially when walking on concrete and asphalt surfaces in the heat. These can even be severe burns, so keep your beagle’s feet on grass when playing in the sun.
Summer Health Hazards Common In Beagles
Summertime calls for various health hazards common in beagles and other dog breeds. Here are some of these summer health hazards.
- Ticks & fleas: These insects can cause skin irritations and allergic reactions in your beagle because they feed off its blood. Consult your vet for suitable treatments such as sprays, shampoos, and spot treatments.
- Rabies: Your beagle could get rabies from wild animal bites. Keep your beagle on a leash when you’re out walking with it.
- Mosquitos: They could carry West Nile Virus and heartworms. Using tick repellents on beagles could be effective against mosquitos.
- Plants: Summertime means your beagle will be out in the yard where there are many poisonous plants, such as mushrooms. These plants easily attract your beagle because of their scent etc.
- Parasites: Stagnant water resources could carry parasites such as giardia. Don’t allow your beagle to drink from these types of water sources.
- Fertilizers, pesticides, and other lawn chemicals: Your beagle will likely vomit if they eat grass containing these chemicals. However, these chemicals are toxic and could be poisonous to your beagle.
Summer-Time Injuries Common In Beagles
Summertime activities could cause accidents and injuries, which you should be mindful of when taking your beagle out to play. Here are some common injuries that could occur.
- Falls: Summer is when you open your house windows for most of the day. It means your beagle is at risk of falling out of the window and injuring.
- Swimming in pools and natural bodies of water: Beagles can swim well, and the heat of the summer is inviting for a swim. There are life-saving vests made for dogs so that you can use one of them on your beagle.
The main thing to remember to keep your beagle safe is to keep him on a leash. Adequate supervision is also necessary to keep your beagle on the safe side.
Tips On Taking Care Of Your Beagle In The Heat
Below are some common tips to follow to take care of your beagle, especially in the summer heat.
- Keep your dog leashed so it won’t wander on its own.
- Don’t keep your beagle in the car alone, as the heat could be unbearable.
- If you’re going on a trip like camping, make sure that there is a possibility to control the environment to keep your beagle safe and calm.
- Ensure you’re equipped with adequate summertime dog gear when going outside with your beagle. More on summertime dog gear later on.
- Keep your dog well-hydrated in the summer heat. Carry a dog water bowl or bottle with you.
- Don’t dress your dog in clothing.
- Get your dog a cool treat, such as ice cream or frozen cookies.
- Take your dog for a swim.
Exercising A Beagle In The Heat
Can beagles live in hot weather when exercising? Beagles must move out and about; exercise is vital to keep them healthy. However, you are also concerned about the damage that the heat could cause your furry friend.
The best way to balance your beagle’s training and exercise needs is to avoid the day’s hottest hours. Take your beagle out to play or for a walk in the morning or evening hours when the heat is tolerable.
If you need to take your beagle out at the hottest time, try to limit the amount of time it stays outside under the direct sun. Also, try not to reduce the intensity of exercise to minimize the harmful effects of the heat on your beagle.
Exercise doesn’t always mean you need to go outdoors. There are plenty of physical activities like tug of war that you can play indoors with your dog.
Things To Look Out For, With Your Beagle In The Heat
If you feel the heat outside is too much for you, it’s not suitable for your dog to be outdoors. That’s the first thing you should remember.
Can beagles live in hot weather? Be mindful of the ground heat; it could be burning hot sometimes, which you would only feel if you stepped on it.
Keep your dog away from rough surfaces such as ones made of concrete and asphalt. Instead, look for softer surfaces such as grass, which can be cool on your beagle’s feet.
Signs That Indicate A Beagle Is Dehydrated
How do you know if your beagle is dehydrated from the summer heat? Here are some telltale signs to identify it.
- Sunken eyes
- Dry skin/ dandruff
- Thick saliva
- Dry nose
- Dry gums
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Reduced energy levels
Summer Dog Gear For A Beagle
Below are a few things you need to pack up if you’re off for some summertime fun with your beagle.
- Water bowl or bottle to carry lots of water.
- Dog shoes or booties for your beagle’s paws.
- Cold treats such as ice cream or frozen goodies keep your dog refreshed in the heat.
- Dog bandanas to keep your dog’s face protected from the sun.
- Your vet approves electrolytes to reverse dehydration effects on your beagle.
- Nose chapsticks on your beagle if its nose gets too dry in the sun.
Can beagles live in hot weather? Beagles love to go outdoors, so you must keep them safe from extreme heat conditions. Taking care of your beagle with the above tips will keep it safe and happy.
Beagles can live in hot weather if you take the necessary steps to protect them. If you’re out on a summertime adventure with your beagle, gear them up adequately and keep them well-hydrated with lots of water.
Finally, let your beagle have fun in the sun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Beagles Like The Summer Heat?
Can beagles live in hot weather, do they like it? Yes, beagles like the summer heat. They are a high-energetic dog breed, and summertime calls for many activities and playtime, which they love to do.
Is It Risky To Take Your Beagle Out In Hot Weather?
Beagles can experience exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, and sunburn if left for a long time in the hot weather.
What Temperature Is Too Hot For A Beagle?
Can beagles live in hot weather, what is to hot? Heat stress can occur when a beagle’s body temperature reaches 103 degrees Fahrenheit. A body temperature of 106 degrees Fahrenheit or higher is life-threatening for dogs.